What is Creativity?



I found this on wikipedia:

Creativity is the ability to generate innovative ideas and manifest them from thought into reality. The process involves original thinking and then producing.

I love this and I also love wikipedia.

Whoever wrote that is very good. Not only is creativity the ability to generate the idea, but the ability to manifest it into reality.

Creativity comes from the Latin term creō "to create, make". The ways in which societies have perceived the concept of creativity have changed throughout history, as has the term itself.

The ancient Greek concept of art with the exception of poetry, involved not freedom of action but subjection to rules.

I feel truly inside of me when given a task, part of completion is not only succeeded but the creativity involved in how to succeed. I am not satisfied beating the game with a cheat code. Yes, I made it to the end, but I bypassed the challenge, I pillaged someone else's creative achievement. "But Derek, beating a video game isn't really creative...being creative is like painting a painting or drawing a picture, or sculpting a bust."

In the West, by the 19th century, not only had art come to be regarded as creativity, but it alone was so regarded. When later, at the turn of the 20th century, there began to be discussion of creativity in the sciences

I remember walking out of my college counselor's office, where he helps me decide and map out what classes would be best for me to take in order to get my piece of paper, I mean degree. This day I spoke with him about changing my major...currently I was getting a Bachelor of Arts and I had taken a bunch of science classes...computer programming, economics...but if I wanted to keep taking psychology I could remain a Bachelor of Arts....

I was a little confused.

So psychology was considered an art, and computer programming was considered a science. Whats the difference? A professional psychologist is considered a doctor right?

I laughed. I wasn't confused, everyone else must be confused. There isn't a difference between art and science. Just words with different letters. In the end I switched to a Liberal Arts degree...lets me take the classes of the subjects I want to learn and not have to decide whether or not they are an art or a science.

I will continue this post later...

0 comments:

top